Since the beginning, Obamacare’s centerpiece was supposed to be a website that was described as an Expedia.com for health insurance. However, instead of being an easy-to-use marketplace for insurance programs, the site has been a disaster full of error message and security risks, with taxpayers stuck with the $600 million price tag and growing.
On Monday, President Obama said, “No one is madder than me” about the website’s countless failures. The tough questions continued on Tuesday for White House Spokesman Jay Carney, which became so difficult that he abruptly left the press conference. The White House is blaming HHS and denying responsibility. The American people are witnessing in real time what happens when Big Government takes over healthcare.
Here are the most notable Obamacare blunders so far:
*CBS News reported that Obamacare website had added the ability to see price estimates for consumers before having to create an account, but they were wildly inaccurate and misleading. According to The Wall Street Journal, the site was going to offer premium estimates before registering for accounts, but that was changed to hide the true costs of Obamacare.
*According to Kaiser Health News, 300,000 Floridians received insurance coverage cancellation letters from Florida Blue. That is 80% of their policy holders in the state.
*Consumer Reports magazine, which has supported Obamacare since 2009, suggested to readers that due to privacy concerns, everyone should “(S)tay away from Healthcare.gov for at least another month if you can.” Their software tested opined, “Hopefully, that will be long enough for its software vendors to clean up the mess they’ve made.”
* On Sean Hannity’s radio show, Sean called the Obamacare hotline on air, and representative Erling Davis explained how everyone he has spoken to has had trouble signing up for health insurance.
*According to Politico, because the White House knew the Federal exchange website disaster would be investigated by House Republicans, the Administration had a “bunker mentality” and only sought advice from partisan “trusted campaign tech experts.”
* The New York Times reported contractors and specialists have said fixing the site’s problems soon is “unrealistic,” as “more than 5 five million lines of software code may need to be rewritten before the web site runs properly.”
* The Washington Examiner discovered that CGI Federal, the Canadian firm which designed the Obamacare health insurance exchange website, was given a no bid contract for the work.
* According to Millward Brown Digital research firm, the Obamacare exchange website had an estimated 9.47 million unique visitors during the first week. Of those visitors, 3.72 started the registration process, but only 1 million registered. Only 36,000 completed enrollment. CNBC’s initial report showed 99% of Obamacare applicants “hit a wall.”
* Chad Henderson of Georgia, who became the media’s poster boy as one of the few to actually sign up for Obamacare lied about his success, according to a Reason Magazine investigation. On LinkedIn, Henderson lists himself as a volunteer for Organizing for Action.
* On Bloomberg TV, Office of Management and Budget Director Sylvia Burwell has refused to guarantee that the Obamacare website will be fixed by December 15, even though the individual mandate goes into effect that same month.
* Even prominent Democrats admit the website is a disaster. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi told ABC News that the Obamacare website glitches are “unacceptable.” On MSNBC, former White House Spokesman Robert Gibbs believes people should be fired.
* The Hill reports that states are already facing a serious threat of identity theft, as fake insurance exchange websites are being launched by cyber criminals trying to steal private information. This issue of fraud with Obamacare has also taken place over the phone, with scammers calling up individuals claiming to be government representatives and requesting personal information. The lack of uniformity in state exchange websites only adds to the endless confusion.
It is amusing to watch President Obama and the Left realize that the government simply isn’t competent enough to implement all their grand designs. They must be stopped, as this Obamacare law is destroying jobs while preventing people who really do need insurance from buying it. It is time to scrap these disastrous taxpayer-funded websites and implement free-market healthcare reforms that will benefit all Americans.