The tragic case of the death of Trayvon Martin just took a weird turn of events. Hal Uhrig and Craig Sonner, attorneys for George Zimmerman, have announced they will no longer support their client in the Trayvon Martin case.
[ view our Trayvon Martin cartoons ]
During a national press conference, the lawyers revealed they have lost contact with Zimmerman, who has admitted to fatally shooting unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin in Florida. Zimmerman contends the shooting was a result of self-defense, and his attorneys stressed that despite their decision to resign from the case, they still believe Zimmerman was acting in self defense.
Craig Sonner noted that Zimmerman hasn’t returned the lawyers’ calls since Sunday. Part of the puzzle has to do with Zimmerman reaching out to Fox News host Sean Hannity and speaking to the cable host directly, even as his lawyers couldn’t reach him. Uhrig noted a Web site that allows supporters to donate money to Zimmerman had become a point of contention. They also said Zimmerman called the Special Prosecutor in the case, something neither lawyer instructed him to do.
“We were a bit astonished,” Uhrig said.
Just last week, the attorneys came under fire from critics for suggesting Zimmerman may have suffered injuries similar to Shaken Baby Syndrome, a condition that often results in severe brain damage and death.